Many consumers are unaware of the fact that by-products from the kitchen make excellent additions to compost,” said Ginny Black, communications chairperson of the United States Composting Council. “Coffee grounds are rich in nutrients and beneficial for any backyard compost effort. The U.S. Composting council applauds Starbucks for their environmentally responsible donation and encourages consumers to take advantage of this generous opportunity.”
By doing this coffee mixture, organic nutrients (a lot of nitrogen, magnesium potassium, some phosphorous , Calcium and Micronutrients) are added to the potted soils as well. Naturally normalizing the ph of the plant’s soil.
To begin composting at home, Black recommends gardeners fill a wooden or plastic bin with a mixture of leaves and other yard trimmings and then mix in coffee grounds and kitchen scraps (no animal products). To help the pile decompose faster, it is important to make sure that the materials are moist (like a wrung-out sponge) but not soggy. Aerating the pile by mixing and turning also encourages the composting process. Compost is ready for the garden when it has fully decomposed into a dark rich soil-like material. A half-inch to an inch of compost on top of the soil feeds plants, prevents plant diseases, suppresses weeds and conserves water.
The proper amount of coffee grounds to be used depends on soil condition and what is being grown in your indoor office landscapes. Contact us, Plantscape Designs Inc., experts to learn what is best for your interior office needs. Or call us at PDI for indoor office plant soil testing.
Plantscape designs Inc provides many services to our clients:
- Watering weekly of interior corporate plants Boston, MA
- designing of corporate interior office plants Boston, MA
- Plant flower maintenance for interior corporate office plants Boston. MA
- Corporate Plant and flower services for corporate interior office plants Boston, MA
- onsite plant and flower services for corporate office plants Boston, MA
- corporate interior landscapes Boston, MA
- Interior Landscaping Design service care for corporate office green plants Boston, MA
- Corporate office maintenance, design, care for interior office plants Boston, MA
- Watering and Interior Landscaping Massachusetts
- Monthly flowering program arrangements Massachusetts
Call joe gallo 781.279.0032 ext 101
When we think of adding a colorful accent to our indoor office plants we often think about cut flowers or a flowering potted plant. Actually there is another option. Tropical foliage plants that have beautiful colored leaves. If your office has the right conditions, bright light and warm temperature, there is an unlimited selection of plants that have colorful foliage and variegated leaves. Crotons, Cordyline, Rex begonias, Stromanthe are just a few that can brighten your office with some color. We use many of these on locations in the Boston metro area. Colored leafy botanicals have unlimited plant possibilities.
Brian Guilfoyle contact 781.632.4475