1. Many cultivars of the southeast Asian species Solenostemon scutellarioides have been selected for their colorful variegated leaves, typically with sharp contrast between the colors; the leaves may be green, pink, yellow, black (a very dark purple), maroon, and red (somewhat resembling the unrelated caladium).
2. New cultivars with varieties of colors are constantly being made. The plants grow well in moist well-drained soil, and typically grow 0.5–1 m tall, though some may grow as tall as 2 meters. Coleus are typically grown as ornamental plants. They are heat-tolerant, but they do less well in full sun in subtropical areas than in the shade.
3. In mild areas (no snow in winter), plants can usually be kept as perennials if well managed. In colder areas, they are often grown as annuals, since the plants are not hardy and become leggy with age (to encourage bushing in leggy plants, simply pinch back growing tips). In bright, hot areas, the colors of the plant are typically more intense in shaded areas than in full sun, and the plants will require less water there.
4. Coleus also make low-maintenance houseplants, and can often be propagated by clipping a length of stem just below the leaves and putting the stem in water to root. The plant’s flowers grow on a stem above that stem’s leaves, and tend to be purple and quite small in comparison to the leaves. The plant is not generally grown for its flowers, as it promotes stem elongation.
5. One disease that can affect coleus is downy mildew. This mildew appears on the leaves making the plant look dirty because it is brown in color. The organism is called Peronospora sp. and can also result in curled and twisted leaves. Sometimes symptoms are not found on leaves which make the disease harder to control.
At Plantscape Designs Inc. we use coloful inexpensive coleus plants throughout our Boston office plant locations.
Plantscape Designs Inc of Massachusetts services the following area cities and towns in Massachusetts:
Plantscape Designs is Lexington’s Trusted Choice for Plant Maintenance
Plantscape Designs is the Boston area’s leading provider of interior plantscapes. For your design, supply, installation, and weekly maintenance, call 781-279-0032! Contact email@example.com
Office Horticultural Experts Serving all of Lexington
Studies routinely attest to the physical and mental benefits of plants in the workplace. Whether one is actively engaging with plants such as in gardening activities, or they are passively observing man-made landscapes that feature vegetation, engagement with plants reduces fatigue and helps individuals to regain focus. In an age where the global community’s mental health is at risk, and, especially during Lexington’s long winters, some individuals are at a greater risk for seasonal affective disorder (SAD), plants can bring workplaces to life and restore the energy and moods of the building’s occupants. Some studies even suggest improved performance on cognitive tasks. Plus, it’s a well-known fact that plants improve air quality by removing carbon dioxide and other air pollutants, while adding oxygen to the air. These are just a few of the reasons why adding an indoor garden to your workplace is a wise investment. Bring your Lexington office building to life with strategically chosen, carefully styled, and well-maintained indoor plants.
Weekly Office Plant Maintenance For Lexington Businesses of All Sizes
Too often, well-intentioned office managers spend hard-earned money on flora to decorate entryways, bathrooms, conference rooms, and other workspaces, only to neglect these poor plants for lack of time. Thankfully, Plantscape Designs provides the routine care that your indoor plants need. With weekly office maintenance available in Lexington and surrounding towns, your plants will continue to yield the health-promoting benefits for which they are so popular. If you’re looking for a health-boosting and attractive investment for your Lexington office, look no further than Plantscape Designs. Our horticulturalists are trained in the selection of space-appropriate plants for spaces of all sizes and layouts. Not only is Plantscape Designs skilled in the selection of vegetation and trained in design elements, our trained horticulturalists also supply weekly office plant maintenance, so that you can continue to breathe easy and maintain a productive rhythm, while Plantscape Designs takes care of the rest.
Call Plantscape Designs to transform your office today!
For more information, to ask about services, or to discuss a specific project, please call, email, or use the form below. Plantscape Designs looks forward to serving you!
When we think of adding a colorful accent to our indoor office plants we often think about cut flowers or a flowering potted plant. Actually there is another option. Tropical foliage plants that have beautiful colored leaves. If your office has the right conditions, bright light and warm temperature, there is an unlimited selection of plants that have colorful foliage and variegated leaves. Crotons, Cordyline, Rex begonias, Stromanthe are just a few that can brighten your office with some color. We use many of these on locations in the Boston metro area. Colored leafy botanicals have unlimited plant possibilities.
Brian Guilfoyle contact 781.632.4475